Re: GNUstep @ FOSDEM - status update - cancel it or not?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUstep @ FOSDEM - status update - cancel it or not?
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 23:56:38 +0100

Hi,

I will try my best to come, thus I changed my status from "probably not" to
"probably yes".
I will depart on saturday morning and retour on sunday afternoon. Thus myc
ertain availability is only the saturday afternoon and sunday morning.

Many things can be presented and I hope that druing OrobienStep I will
organize stuff to show off. In any case, I think I can have talks about the
following:

- WebServices: the core framework is up to Richard, I used it to make an
application, which is currently unreleased and quite incomplete, but works
enough already to demonstrate the working of the framework which has been
extended from  XML-RPC to SOAP
- GNUstep Application Project (GAP) applications: presetnt the status of the
current applications, those which are ported, newly created and stress the
portability of those applications which are portable (in best case
windows-unix-mac can be shown, like in FTP). I hope this can enhance
awarness and also be a topic of discussion and experience exchange
- PRICE imaging application

Further topics I am involvd in and interested in

- porting experienc and status on various platforms I maintain efforts for
(SPARC32: solaris 2.5, 2.6, 2.7; OpenBSD, NetBSD, x86: Netbsd, FreeBSD,
Linux, HURD; MIPS4/MIPS5: IRIX, PPC32: NetBSD, Linux). Of course those
machines are not available during the talk, but experience and contacts can
be perhaps exchanged. Help with the maintenance of the x86/HURD/Debian might
be very interesting
- RPM packaging
- Cocoa/GNUstep and Windows experience (done for PRICE and for GAP)
- Theming
- project building using ProjectCenter and Gorm

- GNUstep and myStep on a portable netbook of Letux size, as realized by
Golden Delicious. I will have one of those in my hands only at OrobienStep,
so only at that point I can decide if it is presentation ready. Anybody
interested?

So if anybody has interest in organizing a talk about any of those above
with me, please tell me beforehand, so i can prepare the material and share
it with you.

What is left out: SimpleWebKit and Vespucci. The status of these is
currenlty a bit immature to be shown and discussed about. Also the main
developer of SimpleWebKit is Nikolaus. However, if I can organize a
presentation with him about it during OrobienStep and if some current
pending bugs can be fixed, I'd like to slip this in and present it. A web
engine and a browser were the topic for months and years. Now that work on
it really exists, very little interest and absolutely no help was shown,
kind of disappointing.

Please let me know if there is interest in any of the themes mentioned and
interst in sharing a presentation, it will further convicne me to do my best
to attend!

Regards,
  Riccardo