Re: GNUstep developer meeting in January

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: GNUstep developer meeting in January
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 10:04:11 -0800 (PST)

On 3 Jan., 17:48, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <lars.sonchocky-
helld...@hamburg.de> wrote:
> <rant>
> What actually is the point in this? I think this will effectively
> distracting possible attendees from FOSDEM because it is so close by
> (timewise)
>
> The points for FOSDEM are (IMHO):
>
> - it is located more centrally in Europe (means easier or equally
> difficult to reach)
> - we have some public visibility (which means sending the signal:
> "GNUstep is alive and well") besides the meeting opportunity (there
> we also can have "nice development and debugging sessions", it's just
> up to us).
> - we got a developers room for free there where we can meet (no need
> to *rent* a room)
>
> I really don't understand why everybody in our community (are we
> still one?) tries to "cook his own soup" (as a german saying goes) by
> splitting up our forces (I guess nobody will have the time and the
> money to attend every of those proposed meetings). I feel a little
> bit sabotaged …
> </rant>
>
> … but maybe there's no interest in FOSDEM at all and I should cancel
> the event so that FOSDEM can give the room to some other project
> before it's to late for them.
>
> Or maybe people don't feel good with me organizing the event and
> somebody else wants to take over. If so please drop me a mail and I
> will hand everything over.
>
> Sorry if that sounded rude but I just had to say this.
>
> regards,
>
>         Lars
>
> Am 03.01.2009 um 15:47 schrieb Riccardo Mottola:
>
> > Hey all,
>
> > I want to announce a developer meeting that will be held in January in
> > Italy, "OrobienSTEP", a bit in the tradition of AlpenStep '07 first
> > and
> > AlemanniaStep '08  then.
>
> > The days are 24-25-26 January 2008 (Friday, Saturday; Sunday).
> > The location is near Bergamo, Northern Italy.
>
> > The goal is to have a nice development and debugging sessions among
> > developers to actually squeeze out bugs, add polish to the core and
> > existing
> > libraries and applications. The schedule has been choose so that it
> > fits
> > before Fosdem, so that any improvment can be shown in Belgium.
> > Nikolaus will also please all parteticipans with his handheld devices.
>
> > The session shall be held at an hotel, where sleeping and eating is
> > possible. The conference room with internet and beamer is already
> > bookoed
> > for those days.
>
> > Additional notes:
> > - Bergamo is easily reached by train and by plane. Being the
> > italian Ryanair
> > hub, low-cost flights from europe are available if booked early.
> > The hotel
> > itself is reachable with one bus fare from the train statin, I can
> > arrange
> > to pick up somebody though in case.
> [...]

Hi Lars,
please don't worry or throw the towel. Most FOSS-Projects run both -
core hacker's meetings (LAN party) without any external visitors (that
is what the OrobienSTEP is about) and self-presentations during a
public conference like FOSDEM.

The main reason why the AlpenSTEP/FreiburgSTEP/OrobienSTEP workshop
series was born (and Gerold even invented the GNUstep cake) is that
FOSDEM simply leaves no time to discuss anything internally about the
project. Some guys have to be permanently at the tables and
demonstrate how GNUstep works. Others hold the presentations. So there
was rarely any time to discuss the future of the project or even do
some real code hacking.

The AlpenSTEP workshop and the FreiburgSTEP was great in the latter
aspects. E.g. fixing critical issues in the Cairo Backend, making
progress for Cross-Platform compatibility, Simple-WebKit bugs fixes,
FlexiSheet revived, just to name some.

The timing was intentional - to have some final fixes done before
showing them to the public at FOSDEM...

Nikolaus