Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:37:26 +0000

On 15 Dec 2008, at 11:26, David Chisnall wrote:

On 15 Dec 2008, at 11:18, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On 15 Dec 2008, at 11:00, David Chisnall wrote:

I still don't fully understand the rationale for moving system packages out of System.

That would be because system packages haven't been moved out of System there's no plan to ever move them.

Okay, that's good to here.

What's happened is a change to avoid people (GNUstep newbies in particular) accidentally overwriting system packages with their non- system locally built versions.

Often this is the desired behaviour when building locally. If I have installed GNUstep from ports then compile it myself, I want applications installed subsequently, from ports or manually, to link against the new version, since it typically works better than the old one (and if it doesn't, then I can look for bugs more easily if more things are using it).

That's exactly why, if you build locally, the default install location is the local domain ... it avoids trashing the existing system installation but also ensures that any subsequently built software will be linked with the new version, since the path and link path contain the various domains in the correct order (user then local then network then system).

Perhaps the best solution would be to provide a script which set the prefix. When compiling stuff myself that I don't want to interfere with system packages, I typically run configure --prefix=/opt/ $PACKAGE_NAME (it's a bit of a SysV thing to do, but simplifies things a lot).

Usually you don't need to, since most free software packages come with a default prefix of /usr/local (though I think you use bsd, and things might be different there I suppose) so that when installed they don't trash the system versions in /usr. That is to say, the normal behavior is that you have to do 'configure --prefix=/usr' if you are going to want to overwrite the system version of the package. Nicola designed the GNUstep-make behavior to follow that same patter of installing 'safely' by default, and overwritign your system only if you tell it to.

Presumably I can do the same thing with GNUstep Make and just make sure I source the correct version of GNUstep.sh from there? I've not actually tried having two copies of GNUstep Make installed, so I'm not sure...

Having two copies of GNUstep make configured with different filesystem layouts can certainly work.