Re: Is there going to be a release soon?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Is there going to be a release soon?
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 23:38:17 +0000

On 21 Nov 2008, at 23:01, Fred Kiefer wrote:

Adam Fedor wrote:
On Nov 21, 2008, at 9:05 AM, hns@computer.org <mailto:hns@computer.org >
wrote:
And one thing makes me wonder a little: why is it still a 0.15
release? After so many years of work.
From a marketing view this looks like an instable experiment and not
as something that can be used in daily work.

I'd like to see that as well.

For a long time I have been reluctant to move on to a 1.0 release of
GNUstep gui, but we may almost be there. Perhaps we could define what
should go into such a release and which non-coding conditions should be
met (for examples the amount of test coverage) and then try to reach
these conditions early in 2009?
Just tagging the current release with a 1.0 stamp (or even higher) still
looks wrong to me.

For a 1.0 release, I would expect:

- OS X 10.0 compatibility in every class.
- A stable ABI that will be supported for several stable releases.

I believe GNUstep is close to the first one - I certainly haven't found any OS X methods that I've wanted to use and that were introduced prior to 10.3 that haven't been present in GNUstep for a while.

The stable ABI requires each of the classes to be examined to see what is likely to need to be added to them in the future, and making sure there is space for them in classes, or using class clusters and private classes for things that are likely to be expanded in the future.

David