Re: Suitability for production code?

From: Gregory Weston
Subject: Re: Suitability for production code?
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 11:27:54 -0400

In article <mailman.564.1223474387.25473.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org> wrote:

> On 07.10.2008, at 19:22, Gregory Weston wrote:
> > What I'm really looking for is opinions, anecdotes, etc on how stable
> > and robust the GNUstep version of Foundation is. I know I'm up to it
> > because I've already done it, but GNUstep's my unknown. Can I trust
> > this
> > as the base for a mid-volume server (say 50,000 transactions per day),
> > heavily threaded with response windows measured in centiseconds, and
> > uptime that needs to be very close to 100%?
>

> Sure. Grep the mailing list for "Brainstorm" and you'll find some
> references to a system which is much larger than what you describe.
>
> ScalableOGo is another big system which (now) sits on top of gnustep-
> base.
>

> Obviously gnustep-base doesn't magically do all the work for you, you
> still need to be fluent in writing scalable systems ;-)

The 10-year-old Delphi version's currently handling the load. They're
now down on both Delphi and Windows (wish that could have happened while
I was there) for production systems so they're looking for something
more in line with their current platform biases and skill sets. There
are other changes in store too; it's not just a rewrite for rewrite's
sake.

Thanks for the examples.

--
"Harry?" Ron's voice was a mere whisper. "Do you smell something ... burning?"
   - Harry Potter and the Odor of the Phoenix