Re: Desktop environment most similar to Mac OS X

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Desktop environment most similar to Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 13:26:53 +0100

Hi Kevin,

On 3 Sep 2008, at 02:52, Kevin Ward wrote:

In a few months I will be at a school with Macs, but I want to get a head-start on learning Objective-C and Cocoa.

Good to hear.

Can someone recommend a particular operating system, such as FreeBSD or Debian, which is very well supported by GNUStep, and which will give me an environment as similar to Mac OS X as I can get?

Ubuntu and FreeBSD are the two tier 1 platforms for Étoilé. x86-32 is better supported than -64, but we are working on that for 0.4. Note that there are a number of Apple-specific technologies (core animation, quicktime, and so on) that won't be duplicated by any GNUstep-based environment.

Also, I would appreciate the name of a good IDE or text editor on that OS that maybe has particularly good integrating with GNUStep.

There are a couple of GNUstep IDEs, and also CodeEditor.app in Étoilé svn, but I still tend to use vim for editing source files.

David