GC on Ubuntu and Exception handling in Gtk/Gdk

From: Vincent Coetzee
Subject: GC on Ubuntu and Exception handling in Gtk/Gdk
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:12:37 +0200

Dear List,

My apologies for being a pest, but I am relatively new to using Objective-C/Foundation on Linux/Ubuntu and so am struggling a bit.

2 probably daft questions.

1. Has anyone else experienced the Objective-C compiler ( failures ) errors when attempting to use garbage collection on Linux ? Is there a fix ?

2. I am attempting to catch exceptions inside methods that are invoked from Gtk/Gdk signal handlers. Exception handling does not work (I have tried both NS_DURING... and @try ..). I would assume that this is due to the fact that the threads are not created be means of NSThread and hence the stack is not correctly configured. Is there a way to initialize the environment/thread in such a way that exception handling does work ?

Many thanks in advance.

Vince