Re: RFC: Non-fragile ivars

From: Graham J Lee
Subject: Re: RFC: Non-fragile ivars
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 20:08:06 +0100

On 3 Jun 2008, at 19:40, Saso Kiselkov wrote:

It's a shame they removed, because it allows you to do some very cool
stuff (though I agree that you can shoot yourself in the foot pretty
badly) - I used it once to implement an object allocation monitor by
transparently masking +alloc.

I've only ever used posing in monitoring or testing code replacing a real class with a mock replica - i.e. where not much is going on, and I have full control over it. The only other example I've seen is in decorating view objects (i.e. [GLFancyButton poseAsClass: [NSButton class]]), although I can't remember the context and remember thinking it was a bad idea back then. So I've got no strong reason to mourn the passing of +poseAsClass: ;-)

graham.