Re: The orca, GNUstep's mascot

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: The orca, GNUstep's mascot
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:48:21 +0100

On 29 Apr 2008, at 07:55, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

TEST_RELEASE was added to optimise the common case of sending - release to nil when gc was not enabled ... the 'if (object)' test being much more efficient than a method call.

GCC with the Apple runtime will now, I believe, move the test for a nil receiver into the callee. My code in clang for the GNU and Étoilé runtimes will do this too, so TEST_RELEASE becomes meaningless.

David