Re: Central GNUstep software index?

From: Dr . H . Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Central GNUstep software index?
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 20:52:47 +0200

Am 18.04.2008 um 13:04 schrieb David Wetzel:

we had this already, and it was dropped in favour of the wiki.

Oh really? In the same feature set? Why was it dropped and not done both?

Both approaches have their benefits and drawbacks:

Wiki:
+ easy to use for a deep description, including documentation, FAQ, installation instructions, requirements etc.
+ use sub-pages and links to other material
+ no approval process needed
- needs Wiki registration to submit changes
- difficult to search
- difficult to keep in standard format
- someone might want to have and maintain his/her own web page to describe

Software Index:
+ easy to add new packages or version - even if hosted and described outside the GNUstep Wiki
+ tracks a Hitlist so that we can see how popular applications are
+ has an RSS feed for notifications of new releases
+ approval of any changes after submission
- just a standardized overview of each entry

I would not at all stop any Wiki for those applications developed by the GNUstep core project and simply use that as the "Homepage" link from the software index. But if there are applications out there that are not in the Wiki (for whatever reason), they still can be easily linked and added to the software index.

To make discussion a little simpler, I will start a demo setup so that you can better see how it works in practice and how it interworks with the Wiki. Then, finally we can move that to a different web server.

-- hns