Re: GNUstep Google Summer of Code 2008

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: GNUstep Google Summer of Code 2008
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:50:03 +0000

On 19 Mar 2008, at 09:19, Markus Hitter wrote:

Am 19.03.2008 um 08:14 schrieb David Wetzel:

Am 19.03.2008 um 01:37 schrieb Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de>:
How about an adaptor between CoreData and a real database (PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.)?

GNUstep has EOF/GDL2, OS X has not, just Java based.

Not to lower GDL2's value, but for some reason Apple has replaced EOF with CoreData. My impression is, they drastically reduced the (exposed) API while retaining everything most programmers need.

A colleague recently pointed me at a Cocoa developer podcast which complained about CoreData as a horribly broken subset of EOF. If a CoreData-style wrapper around GDL2 could be written (I don't know either API well enough to know how hard this would be) then it could be very attractive to Cocoa developers (port CoreData apps to GDL2 and get all of the extra shiny EOF features for free) and provide GNUstep with a bit more exposure.

I don't know how much Apple are still pushing CoreData - it doesn't do anything nice with spotlight indexing, and the big blob files don't play nicely with File Vault, so I wouldn't be surprised if they quietly stop pushing it soon.

David