Re: mingw msys gnustep for winxp

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: mingw msys gnustep for winxp
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 01:53:28 -0800 (PST)

On 6 Mrz., 09:57, "Nicola Pero" <nicola.p...@meta-innovation.com>
wrote:
> Hi Marcio
>
> you can certainly use GNUstep to learn Objective-C and write nice Objective-C
> programs. :-)
>
> Not sure about the iPhone though - I don't think there is an SDK available
> yet,

All rumours indicate that it will be announced and made available by
Apple today. But we yet don't know what it will look like, how it
compares to Cocoa and GNustep. What it requires, what it allows to do.

> and even if there was, I don't know if it'd work on anything but Apple.

This is quite sure that it will be only for Apple devices. They have
no reason to support any other hardware.

> So I guess the answer is that at the moment GNUstep won't really allow you
> to build software you can run on your iPhone. :-(

GNUstep also has a different target. Not only making development for
the Mac or iPhone simpler or better (what Apple is doing is already
great but could also be improved) but extend applications you have
written for the Mac to non-Mac systems, i.e. Linux or Windows. So, to
give you more choice of platforms where *your* applications run.

In other words: "develop your app once, run everywhere". And, this is
on the source code level (contrary to JAVA which uses a byte code for
a similar goal).

And for PDAs and phones there is the mySTEP/QuantumSTEP variant of
GNUstep which you could call a "TuxPhone SDK".

Nikolaus