Re: LLVM

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: LLVM
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 15:16:25 +0100

On 01.03.2008, at 14:39, Andrew Pinski wrote:
If you knew the history of this code you would blame the same person who is writing clang. I guess everyone forgets that the objc front was original written by Steve.

I fail to see how this is relevant, it doesn't change the situation a bit. Fact is: hacking GCC is HARD (from plenty of angles!, not just the raw coding of the patch). And whoever did the last iteration of cc1obj, the important question is who is going to do the next one. Either rewriting it from scratch or modifying the last one.

I completely believe David that fixing GCC would have been very hard and that clang was easy. Don't you?

So far I didn't read the license of clang, but wouldn't it be possible to license changes we do under GPL? (pretty much in the same line what you fear Apple could do ;-)

Greets,
  Helge
--
Helge Hess