Re: LLVM

From: Tim McIntosh
Subject: Re: LLVM
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 02:10:06 -0600

On Feb 29, 2008, at 11:15 AM, Andrew Pinski wrote:

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 3:00 AM, Daniel J Farrell
<daniel.farrell@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

1) Why did Apple not think that GCC in good for the long run in your
opinion?

Because they did not see a short term benefit at all and the place is
run by middle/upper management when it comes to day to day decisions.
Note I worked at Apple as an intern so I have first hand experience.

Hmm...really? I haven't been following this too closely, but that's not the impression I got from Steve Naroff's presentation (http://llvm.org/devmtg/2007-05/09-Naroff-CFE.mov ). So it didn't have anything to do with working with a maintainable and modular code base, issuing better diagnostics, providing better IDE integration, having the ability to create non-fat universal binaries, or post-link-time optimization? Maybe I'm just not skeptical enough.

-Tim