Re: LLVM

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: LLVM
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 00:46:46 +0000

One of the design goals for my runtime was to provide a superset of the functionality required for Objective-C 2.0. It was also designed with the aim of future integration with LLVM (and has a compatible license) since it supports a few optimisations that are tricky with GCC. My current goals are to implement GNU libobjc support in LLVM that is binary-compatible with the current GCC version and then add support for the Étoilé with the new features. I will then port the parts of GNUstep that are runtime-specific over to the Étoilé runtime and people can choose whether to stick with the backwards-compatible one or move to the new break-the-world one (or build fat bundles with both).

I started looking at the GNU runtime, and added a few bits to it before deciding that it would be more effort to fix it than to write a new one from scratch. Considering that my runtime is 15% of the code size and vastly more expressive than the GNU runtime, I think the GNU one is something of a dead end. It's worth supporting for backwards compatibility, but not worth the time and effort it would take to modernise it.

Having looked at the LLVM and GNU code, I think it is clear that LLVM is the way forward. Even though it's written in a language I detest, and GCC is written in one I spend a lot of my time using, I would still rather hack on LLVM.

David