Re: Live CD for FOSDEM?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Live CD for FOSDEM?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:32:19 +0100

Hi,

>> I think the only choice right now is the GNUSTEP LiveCD (I can  never
>> remember who creates it)
>
> I think it was Gürkan Sengün http://www.linuks.mine.nu/gnustep/ but  he
> seems to be the only one working on it so its not as "polished" as  the
> Étoilé Live CD was.
>
>> which is actually just Debian Unstable.  Last I checked, Debian has  a
>> Camaelon package so theming it isn't hard.

I think the ideal solution would be tho have a separate Etoile and GNUstep cd,
so to be able to show-off a "clean" gnustep. Actually I think (also my reading
Quentin's answer) that eotile adds to the gnustep base so that it should be
abel to do one main work and then etoile can add to the base. THis would save
efforts.

Using just debian usntable has a big disadvantage: it ties us quite a bit to
their packages and it is not possible easily for us to include more up to date
packages or, for example, even add unreleased sutff just for demo and show-off
purposes.

Basing on debian for example, wil inhibit building of simplewebkit and
Vespucci, SWK browser... which should be really demonstrated.

The same goes for some unreleased stuff or ProjectCenter, where we need the
latest SVN version to build against current make and also to build several
projects, 0.4.3 can't cope with that..

the list is long...

Riccardo