Re: Question on mini windows

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Question on mini windows
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:19:19 +0100

Andreas Schik wrote:
> On 2008-01-11 19:15:20 +0100 Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
>> As your Window Maker seems to behave different from mine, I would
>> expect
>> that you have a specific configuration for your Window Maker that
>> needs
>> to be corrected.
> OK, thanks for the hint. I played around with WMaker's mini window
> settings and found that the menu works if I switch on 'omnipresent
> mini windows'. As i use only one workspace I ignored this setting so
> far. But still mini windows work only if GSAppOwnsMiniwindow is set to
> NO ( as you descrbe above).
> What is the reason behind GSAppOwnsMiniwindow anyway? What do I
> achieve if I set it to YES?

Looks like I am the one to answer all the gui questions. There should be
people out there who understand more about this feature, for example
Adam who implemented it.

As far as I understand it, the GSAppOwnsMiniwindow setting is there to
have either the window manager (NO) or GNUstep (YES) handle the mini
window. Most window managers are able to handle miniaturization
themselves, but it wont look very OpenStepish, therefore we have our own
mini window handling. But sometimes people prefer to have GNUstep
applications behave more like regular applications for their
environment. And this is provided by this setting. What I don't quite
understand is, why setting it to YES wont work with Window Make, but
then you really don't need it there.

Just remember not everybody is using Window Maker and not everybody
wants GNUstep application to look like OpenStep.

BTW SystemPreferences give you a good description of that, and other,
settings.

Cheers,
Fred