Re: _e_info in NSException.h

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: _e_info in NSException.h
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 06:44:12 +0000

On 13 Jan 2008, at 21:20, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:

Hi,

after I got sope and sogo working with gnustep-make 2 and gnustep-base
1.14.1, I tried to compile against gnustep-base1.15.2.

sope compilation ended in an error:
Structure has no member named: _e_info
there is a line:
ASSIGN(self->_e_info, _userInfo);

after a bit digging I figured out that it was removed not long ago from
NSException.h:

http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/gnustep?rev=25681&view=rev
after adding again:
NSDictionary *_e_info;

sope compiled again.

I wonder why was it removed? or is it an error to set it, in the first
place?

It's an error to try to set it in the first place ... the leading underscore in the name if the instance variable tells you that this is a private instance variable intended for internal use only. In 1.15.2 it has been replaced by _reserved (which is used only when necessary to store additional information .... user info and/or stacktrace ... in an exception). NSException has no external instance variables ... I guess if the sope code wants to store extra information in an exception it should create a new exception based on the values returned by the methods of the original one.