Re: NSThread Comparisons

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSThread Comparisons
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 15:17:00 +0000

On 4 Jan 2008, at 00:11, Justin Kendrick wrote:

I'm writing a class which needs to determine the current thread

[NSThread currentThread]

and get an object tied to that thread.

id threadSpecificObject = [[[NSThread currentThread] threadDictionary] objectForKey: @"KeyForMyObject"];

I'd like to use an NSDictionary keyed by an NSThread object, but NSThread instances not copyable (and I can't find any good documentation on how NSDictionary matches non-NSString keys anyway). Beyond that, I thought that I might use an NSValue created with valueWithUnretainedObject:, but that feels really hackish.

Not sure why you want to use a dictionary keyed on a thread ... the above line of code gives you an object stored in the thread dictionary. Each thread has a dictionary to store thread-local objects, which seems to be exactly what you need.

For that matter, is there a one-to-one mapping between NSThread instances and Posix threads -- that is, can I compare two NSThread pointers and conclude that the NSThread instances do or do not represent the same thread?

Yes you can compare thread pointers ... each NSThread instance represents a different thread.