Re: [ANNOUNCE] SimpleAgenda 0.34

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] SimpleAgenda 0.34
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:12:12 +0100

Le vendredi 14 décembre 2007 à 03:16 +0100, Helge Hess a écrit :
> On 14.12.2007, at 02:55, Philippe Roussel wrote:
> >> I guess the biggest benefit is that it is high level and directly
> >> integrates at the Foundation library. And its actively maintained :-)
> > Ok, I'm almost convinced. How am I supposed to deliver the needed code
> > for SimpleAgenda users ? Do you think I should copy NGCards and it's
> > dependencies
>
> I guess that would be easiest. Eg make a Subversion vendor branch and
> import that into your app. Its probably not (perfectly) API stable
> yet, so its good to have a local branch anyways.
>
> > (by the way, what are NGExtensions, EOControl and DOM in
> > GNUmakefile.preamble ?)
>
> All stuff (I think) you don't need for NGCards.
>
> [EOControl is the EOF2 control layer of SOPE (EOQualifier,
> EODataSource and such), NGExtensions is various SOPE extensions to
> Foundation/EOControl and (sope-xml/)DOM is, well DOM on top of SaxObjC]

Ok, I guess I'll try to build NGCards to see how hard it would be to
ship it.

[snip]

> OK. I think thats one of the major advantages of sope-ical/NGCards
> stuff, its built on top of NSCalendarDate/NSTimeZone. Though I'm not
> perfectly sure about the state of timezone support in NGCards.

Yep, that's a strong advantage. As is the complete iCalendar Objective C
binding, much better than any libical wrapper I could make !

> > Only simple recurrences are handled in SimpleAgenda as of now (daily,
> > weekly, monthly, yearly, for ever or until a certain date).
>
> So rrule evaluation isn't done by libical but you need to implement it
> in your own classes? (if libical would do rrule evaluation, that would
> be one of the few things which would convince me to use it .., since
> rrules are HARD).

Well, libical supports rrule evaluation (I think you can create a sort
of date enumerator from a rrule for example), time zone conversions and
a lot more but for the moment I use it principaly to parse and build
iCal files.

This is all historical : I didn't really change the code when I dropped
ChronographerSource and I did not write an ObjectiveC wrapper around
libical. I didn't start with iCalendar in my mind but with a simple
local store based on NSKeyed(Un)Archiver of Chronographer objects.

With iCalendar support, I just added a libical based encoding/decoding
to the existing objects. It works fine but it means I have to add a
to/from iCalendar bridge for every new functionality, that's not really
clean. I would be much nicer to work directly with iCalendar objects,
especially as they all already exist !

> I don't know the current state of NGCards, but sope-ical did support a
> bit more like BYDAY recurrences, eg last-friday or 2nd monday of each
> month (well, I suppose NGCards supports at least the same stuff plus
> more ;-).

Thanks a lot for the infomations Helge,
Philippe