Re: ANN: Build Guide version 2.0.0

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: ANN: Build Guide version 2.0.0
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 17:47:09 +0100

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
On 2007-12-05 15:46:43 +0000 Dennis Leeuw <dleeuw@made-it.com> wrote:

Hi Truls,

Truls Becken wrote:
Dennis Leeuw wrote:
A new version of the Build Guide for Unix systems is available.

That's great. At the risk of sounding too critical, though, aren't the

You can never be too critical in my opinion... As long as you support it with valid arguments :)

GNUSTEP_*_ROOT variables obsolete with gnustep-make 2.x? Some projects
have bugs in their makefiles because the way variables are used have
changed over time, and it would help if the build guide didn't
encourage use of legacy variables.

yes and no. True if they where not needed, but since I make the users compile everything in /usr/GNUstep there needs to be some way to tell where everything is. So there are two approaches (imho):

1) Set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH (ld.so.conf is linux specific afaik and I don't know all the options for other flavours of unix).

2) source GNUstep.sh and have it that solve the problem.

If I misunderstood your comment, or you know a better way of dealing with the problem, please let me know. The easier I can make it the better.

The section 'GNUstep Filesystem Domains' is completely wrong for the current code ... the GNUSTEP_*_ROOT variables should not be used and the installation location should be set using the GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN variable, which should be set to LOCAL or SYSTEM or USER or NETWORK to specify which domain things should be installed in.

The actual paths used for each domain are determined by loading a file from the FilesystemLayouts subdirectory ... the choice of layout file being determined using the --with-layout=FILE option when madke is configured.

There is a readme about the filesystem layouts (FilesystemLayouts/README) in the make package.

Hi Richard,

You are absolutely right. I overlooked that entire section. Thanks will fix that asap.

Dennis