Re: GNUstep theming (was Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in L

From: Dr Tomaž Slivnik
Subject: Re: GNUstep theming (was Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:06:09 +0000

How viable would it be to write a compatibility layer for OpenStep 4.2 Intel architecture apps to run on Darwin Intel + GnuStep (possibly after being patched a little by an automatic patcher program)?

Excuse me, but this in nonsense. Instead of putting huge efforts into a fragile-by-design compatibility layer you really should fix current, available source (GNUstep).

Either there is a clean way to write the compatibility layer or there isn't. A clean way (e.g. if there is a single .dylib or a small set of .dylibs which contain the entire interface to all the system calls) would not be fragile.

I'm not suggesting this is possible, I'm asking if it is. What I have in mind is being able to run Lighthouse and other existing OpenStep apps. Unless you can get your hands on the sources I can't see how changing GnuStep is going to help you.

Last time I'd heard, Sun was not interested in releasing the Lighthouse suite of sources - but hey it's worth trying every once in a while, they may change their mind. Anyone know where www.quantrix.com got their code base from, was it written from scratch or licensed from Sun? Would they port to GnuStep?