Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable development option?

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable development option?
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:26:45 -0500

On Nov 15, 2007 12:46 AM, Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:
Also, I'm not convinced that having a forum will go very far to solving
 our problems.  Yes, exposure is important.  But another project called
 gcc, you may have heard of it, has used and still uses a mailing list.
 People don't seem to have a problem with it.   And they don't seem to
 suffer for "being different."   So, incidentally, does Linux.  It's
 called the kernel-dev mailing list.   Linux CERTAINLY hasn't suffered for
 it.   What I'm saying is that, you haven't proven to me any
 correlation between success and having a forum.  Perhaps it will help, perhaps it
 won't... but applications will help more.

Just playing devil's advocate here, as I don't necessarily support the idea of a forum... GCC and Linux are not toolkits/frameworks!  GCC also has an extra blocking point to forums in that it's an application, not a "large library of reusable software".  The fact is that GNUstep is a very different beast and as such would need to be treated differently.  Also, one of your previous points were that we shouldn't be doing/not doing things because other projects are/aren't.

Stefan