Re: Native widgets (was: Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable developme

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Native widgets (was: Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable development option?)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:41:20 +0100

Nicolas Roard wrote:

It's _far_ from knocking the whole design -- the file dialogs in
GNUstep are pretty simple, api-wise and functionality-wise: you just
want to call it, and get a list of files. The only advanced feature (a
very cool one, mind you) is rarely used if ever (accessory views).
Therefore it should be easy to support native file dialogs, and I put
forward in my previous emails the advantages of doing so.

Err, sorry, but you probably should have a closer look at the API
before saying such things. Getting just a file or a list of files
may be sufficient for simple applications, but there are some more
advanced uses of the panels, e.g., setting options for a particular
file type if the file format supports variants (e.g., compression
algorithm for TIFF files), which is commonly selected with some
widgets in an accessory view. The panels also support a few useful
delegate methods (e.g., controlling the visibility of filenames).
In addition, there is also the treatsFilePackagesAsDirectories
attribute (which is poorly supported in GNUstep at the moment,
though).

Wolfgang