Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable development option?

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable development option?
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:39:49 +0000

Hi,

On Nov 13, 2007 1:13 PM, Mark Grice <markjoel60@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. It was a relief to wake up this morning and
> see that the mailing list is active, I sent an email to the Etoille
> list days ago (a lot less flammatory, btw) and still have not seen any
> reply. So maybe at least part of my tone came from frustration.
>
> A couple of things, but let me start with this one:
>
> The WMAKER link I described is more than a misconception, I think.  It
> happens when following the tutorial for Project Center and Gorm! Let
> me tell you what I did, and you tell me what I did wrong... (I am
> working in UBUNTU Gnome 7.10)
>
> Following the tutorial script: I run Project Center. Create a new
> project. Click on "Interfaces" and then double click on the
> Convertor.gorm file... and I find myself staring at a WindowMaker
> screen that is pretty much non functional. I have to CTRL-ALT-DEL and
> log off my session to get control back.

It _may_ be that something (ProjectCenter ? Gorm ? ...) crashes your current
gnome windowmanager  (or the gnome session manager ?) -- which would
results in what you describe, as iirc ubuntu uses windowmaker as a
failsafe wm if the current one crashes. I vaguely remember it happening to
me (though not because of gnustep).

So basically your session crashes and windowmaker is started.

> This tells me that I cannot really run GNUStep in Gnome. Things
> function as the tutorial says they will if I run them in Window Maker.
>
> I assumed that this was expected behavior, since the GNUStep home page
> pretty much tells you to use Window Maker... so I didn't want to call
> it a bug. If it is a bug, I will be happy to enter it as such...

I'm not sure a lot of people uses gnustep under gnome, but if that's
reproducible we should definitely investigate.

--
Nicolas Roard