Re: ANN: PictureFrame 1.0.0

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: ANN: PictureFrame 1.0.0
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 11:26:05 -0700

On Nov 4, 2007, at 8:06 AM, Fred Kiefer wrote:

Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
Hi Adam,

Adam Fedor <fedor@gnu.org> wrote:

It was looking for images in ~/Pictures, despite in the preferences in the
Picture tab the Album: is set to Album, or is that unrelated?
Nevertheless, it does not seem to take changes to the preferences
effectively. I select the checkboxes for clock, whether, ... but they do not
appear. The only clocktype I can choose is Analog Clock and Date.
Also when I close PictureFrame, and reopen it, the old preferences are back.

This was a problem of GNUstep not getting the tags of the controls
correctly. I fixed that in the SVN code yesterday. There are still other
issues with GNUstep, I am looking into them right now. My feeling is
that Adam made a great application for Cocoa and now wants to get us to improve GNUstep until this application works there without changing the
application itself. This is quite a challenge, but I think GNUstep is
ready for it. There should only be small issues to fix to get it
working. (OK, this time I may be a bit to optimistic)

Not entirely true :-)

PictureFrame runs on my home-built picture frame, which is running Debian, with a reasonably old version of GNUstep (base 1.13 and gui 1.11 I think). I didn't test changing preferences that much, I've pretty much set it and left it. Most other things seemed to work properly.

Also, PictureFrame always looks in the ~/Pictures folder (which seems reasonable standard, even other free software seem to use that directory). I could add a preference for that though. Anyway, the 'Album' preference tells PictureFrame to only look for pictures in subdirectories that match the substring, or if you have an iPhoto album, it only looks for pictures in albums that match the substring.