Re: [ANNOUNCE] SimpleAgenda 0.29 - Request For Comment

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] SimpleAgenda 0.29 - Request For Comment
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 18:32:13 +0100

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 10:47:23AM -0400, Stefan Bidigaray wrote:
>   - do you use iCal support ? Distant or local ?
>
> iCal support as in what?  The Apple iCal, or libical (iCalendar standard)?
> I think iCalendar support if a must, but Apple's iCal support is really
> useless, in my opinion at least.  Not really sure what the difference
> between distant and local is though.

Ok, my fault. SimpleAgenda provides (for now) two data backends :

        - 'Local Store' which uses a simple keyed archiver/unarchiver and
          stores its data in ~/GNUstep/Library/SimpleAgenda/StoreName

        - 'iCal Store' which uses libical to read/write iCalendars defined
          by an URL. SimpleAgenda understands file:// and http:// schemas.
          This backend is only lightly tested but I successfuly used the
          same iCalendar with Thunderbird and SimpleAgenda. With distant
          agenda, I mean an iCalendar stored somewhere on the internet,
          even it's http://localhost/cal/public.ics.

When you first run SimpleAgenda, it creates a local agenda called
Personal and uses it as the default agenda when creating events.

> >  - would CalDav support be a big plus ?
>

> I didn't really know what CalDav was until just a few seconds ago, but it
> seems like it would be just as useful as having iCalendar support.  Being a
> standard it will only be a matter of time until other calendar apps start
> using it.

Ok.

> >  - do we need a week view ? a month view ?
>
> Whenever I use calendar apps, weekly view is usually the only type I use.  I
> generally don't have that many things happening in a single day, and
> generally not even that much happening in a week.

I guess I should have expected this ! I tried to work around this need
with the summary view (it shows events for today, tomorrow and the
next few days) but it seems I'll have to add those views anyway.

> >  - what about ToDo (or Tasks) items ?
>
> Always useful!

Ok

> >  - what kind of notification would be useful (email, à la libnofity,
> >        sound, flashy bouncing ball) ?
>

> I have no idea!
>

> >  - anything else ?
>

> I think this is it.  I still need to give SimpleAgenda a try, I'll make sure
> to do it next time I install GNUstep again.

Nice ! Thanks a lot for your comments.

Philippe
--
Une auto-stoppeuse est souvent une jolie jeune femme légèrement habillée qui se
trouve sur votre chemin lorsque vous êtes avec votre femme. Woody Allen