Re: GNUstep Apps, iPhone.

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: GNUstep Apps, iPhone.
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 23:12:16 -0700

On 19 Okt., 00:09, Marko Riedel <markoriede...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> I don't know if I got this right -- will Apple offer a Cocoa-based SDK for
> iPhones? If yes, should we be porting GNUstep apps as a means of

Nobody knows yet. It could as well be some Dashboard/Dashcode Widget
based SDK.

But there is one hint by those guys who are hacking the iPhone. It
appears that there is NO AppKit.framework (but Foundation, WebKit
etc.). It has a new, separate UIKit.framework which appears to be a
simplified (???) AppKit.

And, there is some discussion about signatures, i.e. software
certification.

> advertising GNUstep?

So unless you want to write an open source UIKit, you won't be able to
port any applications. BTW: which GNUstep applications do you think of
are reasonable to operate on the iPhone?

I think we should continue the mySTEP/QuantumSTEP approach to have a
full AppKit on a handheld device. I have already something to show on
the OpenMoko and the Sharp Zaurus and plan to have a fully working
phone to demonstrate at FOSDEM.

There is already a full mySTEP SDK as a plugin to Xcode/IB - so the
Zaurus-OpenMoko/QuantumSTEP combination is already here, is open and
has an SDK (no need to wait until February :)

http://www.quantum-step.com/wiki.php?page=SDK

If you want to join, please send me a mail for further discussion.

Nikolaus