Re: New ProjectCenter Icons

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: New ProjectCenter Icons
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 07:59:28 -0700 (PDT)

All,

Gorm is useful outside of the context of an IDE.  I see no reason that DO can't serve as an effective integration between the two applications and I'm unconvinced that physically merging them is the best way to go and I don't support the merging of PC and Gorm into one program.

Additionally, users who are used to the Cocoa/OPENSTEP approach will expect two applications, not just one.

There is, in fact, the beginning of a framework in GormLib to facilitate communication between the two applications.   The methods in this framework should be vended via DO and much of the work in Gorm has already been done to talk via DO, there's just some additional work to do.

I must mention... Gorm was refactored about two years ago to be a set of libraries.  If someone wants to use the functionality of Gorm in their program without invoking Gorm itself it's just as simple as linking to GormLib (The InterfaceBuilder framework clone -- contains interfaces for Palettes, Inspectors, Pasteboard and Resource handling) and GormCore (Gorm's internal library).

Right now our development environment is very strong because of Gorm and we simply need to improve PC and integrate the two over DO to make it seemless.   I think that Gorm and PC follow the UNIX and, indeed, the Cocoa/OPENSTEP philosophy very well... and that is to have programs with a simple purpose do one thing and one thing very well.    The two can integrate perfectly over DO.

So, I don't agree with Nikolaus at all.  I see no reason to physically merge the two applications.

Later, GJC
--
Gregory Casamento