Re: New ProjectCenter Icons

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: New ProjectCenter Icons
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:11:16 -0400

I know I don't have much say on this since I can't program very well and don't know enough about GS, but I kind of agree with Dr Nikolaus Schaller here.

The little that I've played with PC for my little implementation of ScreenSaver framework (yes, I'm still working on it and it still doesn't work right) I have noticed that PC is moving towards a modular design.  The Editor, for example, is already a bundle (and so is a few other things).  So why can't Gorm just be a PC bundle?  Theoretically, as I understand it, you can already use any editor you want with PC.  If PC does, in fact, move toward a fully modular design there should be no reason why someone can't use their favorite tools from within it.

After all, GNUstep's goal is to, foremost, be a development environment.  Everything should be highly integrated to fulfill that goal.  If you want to go outside this "development environment" that is your choice and should be allowed, but that's not GNUstep's way.  A modular PC (integrated with Gorm) would allow for this.

This approach would also encourage PC development, further encouraging GNUstep development.  From my point of view, it seems like PC has become taboo within GNUstep, not even GNUstep projects use it.  I understand Sergei is on his own trying to maintain it, which sucks, and I'm trying to learn it's inner-workings to try to help but I don't understand the GNUstep frameworks enough to help with such a big project (which is one of the reasons I'm giving ScreenSaver a shot).

Like Nikolaus said though, this would be a long term project.

Just my 2 cents.

Stefan