Re: Why dose art not use fontconfig?

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Why dose art not use fontconfig?
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 05:53:26 -0400

Jesse Ross wrote:
>> Well, you *did* describe the feature as being, effectively, a glorified
>> mknfonts -- which is useful, but not sufficient. I would suggest something
>> more interactive, so the human using the program gets a chance to affect
>> the result.
>
> I would argue the reverse -- make the initial font conversion a
> virtually invisible process initially, something that doesn't require
> any additional user interaction, as painless as just dragging a font
> into the Font Manager window or clicking the + button on the bottom
> of the window and selecting the font.

As I mentioned, it's not just what's in the plist but what's in the package.
An automatic process cannot collect a font family correctly, so it's something
that needs a human being able to make decisions.

After all, isn't that what a computer is FOR? It does the grunt work, you make
the decisions. :)