Re: ProjectCenter Status

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: ProjectCenter Status
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:28:29 -0400

I'll give a shot at remembering everything.  There might be some more e-mail after this one as I remember more stuff though.

On 8/21/07, Sergii Stoian < stoyan255@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, Stefan.

1. Could please provide the list of the most important missing features in ProjectCenter in your opinion?

- Like was said by Sebastian, line numbering, in my opinion at least, is a must.  I had some issues with forgetting to put ";" at the end of the line, and it told what line number it was, but I still had to go through most of the code as I didn't know exactly which line it was on the editor.
- The other stuff Sebastian said would also be pretty nice, but aren't a "must" at this point, there's others, more important, bugs that should be fixed.  Also, I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement auto-complete at this point.
- It would be nice if, when opening a project, we could just click on the directory where the PC.project file is, without actually having to select the PC.project.  I understand that this allows for multiple projects under the same directory, but PC doesn't allow for this anyway (all sub-projects are under their own directory).
- Being able to edit makefiles would be nice.  Sometimes there might be something you want to change, but the only way to do it is manually.

2. Could you please explain more in detail: " it doesn't add new files to the PC.project file"? What are your doing?

- Well, never mind about this now.  I just tried reproducing it now and couldn't.  I might have forgotten to save the project before.
- This actually brings up an interesting issue... PC has way too many "Save" options.  I can save the project, all files in the project or just the file I'm working on.  In my opinion, someone should only have the save the project and all files under that project get saved as well, making "Project"->"Save Files..." obsolete.  Also, an auto-save feature would be nice, kind of like gedit's where I can specify "auto-save every 2 minutes" and it saves all files every 2 minutes.

OTHER BUGS/MISSING FEATURES:
- Theres not way to remove a single file from a project.  I just tried doing this by going selecting the class file I wanted to remove then "Project"->"Remove Files" and got an Exception saying: "NSInvalidArgumentException: Tried to add nil key to dictionary".  On that note, when removing a class file, the header for that class should also be remove--and vice-versa.
- Methods aren't parsed correctly.  I have, for example, -initWithFrame:, -initWithFrame:isPreview, and -animateOneFrame in that order... PC parses that as a single method: "-initWithFrame:initWithFrame:isPreview:animateOneFrame".  This always happens if there are methods that take arguments, and only stops on the method with no arguments.
- Under the Inspector, PC still has an option for "Install In", it should be change to "Install Domain" or something like that.

NOT SO IMPORTANT STUFF:
- Not all *.m files are Class files.  One of my .m files (ScreenSaver.m) just contains helper functions and no classes, yet it's listed under Classes.
- There's no easy way to create documentation files.
- The "Version" file lists GCC_VERSION=2.8.0, when GNUstep requires at least 2.95.
- People should be able to change the project name, type, etc...
- Under the Inspector's "Project Description" there's really not enough space to write what you want.  Just writing "Released under GPLv3 or later" wraps the word "later" and I can't see it.  Definitely need more space for "Description" as well.
- "File"->"Open" doesn't work.  I looked at the code and the method that opens files was completely commented, and I didn't really understand any of it.
- Greg recently removed the file icons, so now .m, .c, .h files just have the "?" icon.
- Every time I make any changes to the Preferences' "Interface" options the "Project Builder" pops up.
- The Editor is only displayed in PC's SplitView, for some reason it doesn't show up as a separate window.

If you'd like to keep track of all the bugs I can file them under Savannah's bug tracking, 1 ticket for each bug.  Like I said earlier, I might have more stuff.

As for status of PC deevelopment: last 3 weeks I've made some changes in code locally. I plan to commit it to SVN and
prepare to new release 0.5. Some minor changes left to make a release.

Thank you for your feedback.

That sounds great!  I sincerely can't wait!

Thanks for all your work,
Stefan