Re: Why dose art not use fontconfig?

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: Why dose art not use fontconfig?
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:12:19 +0200

Hi,

On 2007-08-17 18:59:11 +0200 Jesse Ross <gnustep@jesseross.com> wrote:

I agree. While these arguments against using fontconfig are valid, the
mere annoyance of having to create a bundle for each font you want,
and not being able to keep all your fonts in one place, out weighs
them in my mind.

In short, I think it would be a good idea if the art back end could
use fontconfig.

There is an additional reason: Those bundles are very openstepish. While I never really figured out the font system on X11 and find installation of fonts tedious, on mac you just drop them in to the Font folder. Moreover oyu have a system font folder, but also one for each user. Nfonts allow this logic and I like that. It is one of the few things I like more in art compared to xlib!

This begs the question -- why make more adjustments to the art backend when Cairo has been blessed as the backend of choice for future development?

From Greg's blog ( http://heronsperch.blogspot.com/2006/12/plans-for- change.html ):

Because art and xlib still have advantages and having them is an added flexibility?

5) Focus and concentrate on one and only one set of display technologies per platform. We expend way too much time and energy on maintaining mulitple backends (xlib, art and etc) when we really don't have to. For Linux/BSD we have two functional backends and another on the away for cairo. What's the point of this? In my opinion we should complete the cairo backend and deprecate BOTH the xlib and art backends. xlib is hopelessly outdated and libart isn't really supported by anyone anymore.

xlib works very well and has several advantages and it can be made pretty fast too as myStep demonstrates. Art has a difference philosphy and except for some bugs, it has a very high quality display, but clearly slower in some cases. Personally I don't share the idea of using cairo as a tool to support different platforms (like windows).

Art has for example that pretty nice font mechanism. What I'd like would be a tool that could creeate the nfonts packages in an automated and perhaps a visual way, including the name assignment.

Riccardo