View hierarchy problem

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: View hierarchy problem
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:00:38 +0200

Hello all,

I have an application with a shelf view that has a bunch of subviews (icons representing applications). In windowDidBecomeKey: I reload the shelf, meaning that I do removeFromSuperviewWithoutNeedingDisplay for all these subviews and then rebuild the shelf (recreate all the subviews). Doubleclicking on one of these subviews launches or activates the represented application.

From time to time I get a core dump when doubleclicking from one app to the next on the shelf. By backtracing I found out that

        [NSWindow makeFirstResponder:];

is called with a previoulsy removed (and released) view (one of the views that have been recreated earlier in windowDidBecomeKey:). Here is a pseudo backtrace of this

        [NSWindow makeFistResponder:]  <--------
        [NSWindow sendEvent:];
        [NSApplication sendEvent:]
        [NSApplication run]

I realized some code in [NSView removeSubview:] that is obviously meant to remove the to be removed view from teh view hierachy, but it seems it is still retained by some event circling around in the event loop and then causes the malfunction.

Any idea how this error can be prevented or further tracked down?

Thanks,

  Andreas