Re: font substitution

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: font substitution
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:37:38 -0700

On 8/12/07, Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
> Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

> >>   Here is the text I used. It is in UTF-8 encoding.
> >>   You need a Chinese font (AR PL...)
> >>   and another font which has better coverage than usual,
> >>   probably one of the DejaVu font for a row of symbol in the bottom.
> >
> >   I check the fonts again.
> >   The one in question is "AR PL ZenKai Uni.nfont".
> >   It shows a "Critical Error" of NSCharacterSet panel and
> >   and an exception in terminal:
> >   " NSImage: compositeToPoint:fromRect:operation: failed due to
> >     NSInternalInconsistencyException: Cannot find stored representation"
> >
> >   If you want to try, there is an application in Etoile:
> >   Etoile/Services/User/Typewriter/
> >   (Well, you also need Etoile/Frameworks/OgreKit, which need oniguruma
> > library).
> >   You can create a new document, choose "Edit"->"Characters...".
> >   It is a panel allowing you to see all of the glyphs from a chosen font.
> >   When you choose "ZenKai", the exception raises.
> >   Or you can use Etoile/Services/User/FontManager/ (no dependency).
> >   It has the same result.
> >   I have to say a bad font can be anywhere.
> >

> Thank you for all these advices. I was able to reproduce and understand
> the flipping of the font. It happens when a font without an explicit set
> matrix gets replaced by an explicit matrix. This is rather strange and
> most likely wrong. To work around this problem I now use a font manager
> method, which in the end does exactly what you suggested. This way has
> the benefit that when ever we improve the code in NSFontManager the font
> substitution will also improve.

  That sounds great !!

> Even with all your help I was not able to reproduce the NSCharacterSet
> problem. Is it possible that this only happens with a certain version of
> Freetype? I seem to have libfreetype.so.6.3.16 on my SuSE 10.2 system.

  Hmm... It is possible. I use Ubuntu 6.10/PPC.
  I have to check what version of freetype on the system.
  But what surprises me is that NSFont can get the correct numberOfGlyphs.
  So it may be something unrelated to NSFont, but glyph rendering.

  By the way, could you add a user default for -gui or -back,
  such as NSPreferredFonts,
  so that users can easily specify their preferred fonts ?
  Thanx.

  Yen-Ju