Re: Weird color problem with GNUstep/Etoile

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Weird color problem with GNUstep/Etoile
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:38:28 +0200

Hi Fred,

So this problem - in opposite to not being able to use GNUstep/Etoile as
a non-root user - is not very urgent. Nevertheless, if somebody has an
idea what might cause this...

Looks like you are having a different byte order on the remote display
then the one art detects.

Yes, that fits! One machine is SPARC the other is x86.

As far as I rememeber Alexander Malmberg put
in a solution for this case in 2005. But the comment there leaves some
space for improvement :

    /* If the server doesn't have the same endianness as we do, we need
       to flip the masks around (well, at least sometimes; not sure
       what'll really happen for 15/16bpp modes).  */

See ARTContext initWithContextInfo:

Could you please find out, which colour mode you are using and if you
hit this specific case? Enabling debug output for "back-art" should at
least provide some of the data. (Start your application with
--GNU-Debug=backart)

I tried

/opt/GNUstep/Local/Applications/Typewriter.app/Typewrite --GNU-Debug=backart

The application got started with the color problem, but nothing of value was logged!? A typo?

Regards,

   Andreas