Re: basic question re. Debian packages

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: basic question re. Debian packages
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 10:50:22 -0400

On 8/3/07, Marko Riedel <markoriedelde@yahoo.de> wrote:
My question is, being a SuSE Linux user, what is the software that I need
to build Debian packages?

I'm not sure how that would work, but here is Debian's tutorial on building packages:
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/index.en.html
http://www.debian-administration.org/ (check in here, load was too high for me to access when I posted)
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Debian-Binary-Package-Building-HOWTO/ (might be outdated)

The biggest problem is that you want to make sure that the software installed on your system will be compatible with software installed by Debian.  Generally, Debian Stable is your best bet, but software versions are generally quite outdated by the time they make a release.

Is there a tutorial for GNUstep users?

I can't remember who it is here that makes the Debian packages, but you might want to check with that person and see what he does.

Are there
any GUI-based applications that help with the build process?

I doubt it, but you can check if there's anything being mentioned on the tutorial.