Re: projects related to GNUStep?

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: projects related to GNUStep?
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:13:30 +0200

Hi,

On 2007-06-27 19:32:02 +0200 Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:

I during my googling around trying to build my GNUStep environment I
have seen many efforts to make a desktop system using GNUStep. Knowing
Etolie is active is a good thing but I just wish to know if other
related projects are still alive (and, maybe it's better they are not
alive so limited resource can be collected in one project to make it
speedy)

first a general comment: freshmeat pages are often setup by people not part of the original development team, so they indicate a resource, but to check if it is really up-to-date check their original websites.

* backbone project: project goal is similar with Etolie, it's no longer
going on, right? Because I don't see
download section for this project. http://www.nongnu.org/backbone/

As far as I know it is in perfect working order and there are occasional updates, the people working on it have little time, but they are good coders and the applications are good. I know they never release tarballs and this disturbs me, however the CVS tree works fine for me. They host Terminal, the only working gnustep termina, Preferences, a good old-school preferences application with its framework and TextEdit, port of the original NeXT app. These are the applications I use from them.

* LinuxStep project: focused on building a linux system (a
distribution?) that provides GNUStep environment. It's no longer alive,
right?
I think not, but to be honest I never followed the "complete OS efforts".

* Preferences.app http://freshmeat.net/projects/preferences/ where is
preferences.app being developed now? If it's no longer on freshmeat (no
download link for this project on freshmeat) then better close
this freshmeat project, the first google result page for
preferences.app probably don't even include information on where is
application lives. preferences application is neither listed in
GNUStep.org package list page.
Isn't htis the same application being in Backbone?
Furthermore GNUstep has also a systempreferences application, trying to clone Mac's version instead of NeXT's.

* many other applications are on separate websites but they have a
freshmeat page. GNUMail for example, on www.collaboration-world.com/gnumail/ . as name suggest, people might
think this is a project of GNU (is it?) and probably try find it in
gnu.org or Savannah (there is no project in Savannah about GNUMail but
there is a project GNUMail on freshmeat)
the gnustep wiki itself hosts a list of applications http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Category:Applications .

* GNU Application Project http://www.nongnu.org/gap/ what's the
relationship between this project and Etolie?
Currently? None. GAP's first goal is to host applications and utilities for GNUstep and is "agnostic" in the sense that it requires only GNUstep for its applications, it doesn't rely on an external Desktop project and their libraries. It contains both new applications (like FTP or BatteryMonitor) as well as ported applications (like InnerSpace or TimeMon). Of course the goal is to have a comprehensive set of applications that enables to build a a Workspace environment.

This is just a newcomer's confuse, just please don't mind if I am
talking as if I don't know the GNUStep project (well, because I do, not
knowing the project. Purely an end user's confuse.)
Yes, it is confusing, but bear in mind that GNUstep mainly is a framwrok (think of GLIB and GTK) and has a couple of applications to use (which are provided as a courtesy but aren't a requirement for any other and can be replaced by the user). Thus anyone can build either single applications or theyr Environment based on gnustep as they wish (think fo XFCE or GNOME)

P.S. What I see is GNUStep development happen here and there. I am not
sure if all people agree that it would be better to collect efforts
together for a main project in condition when development force is not
enough.

Open Source means freedom to pursue the projects one likes most, this often generates some duplication. But people here are aware of our small manpower and you will see that most aplications run together even if they come from "different" projects. I use a GNUstep Workspace daily and have official GNUstep applications, GAP applications (of course!), Backbone applications and some other external stuff (GNUMail, TalkSoup, PRICE) running side by side.

I think the goal of the wiki pages is also to help the user find his stuff in the maze.

- Riccardo