Re: new user of gnustep on ubuntu question about basic usage

From: Zhang Weiwu
Subject: Re: new user of gnustep on ubuntu question about basic usage
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:55:58 -0500

On 2007-06-25 23:40:10 +0800 Stefan Bidigaray <stefanbidi@gmail.com> wrote:

If I remember correctly, Ubuntu uses Debian Sid's packages, which are
generally outdated with regards to GNUstep. They were updated a few months ago, but since the most resent release it's now outdated. Other packages, including GWorkspace, GNUMail and others are also outdated. Unfortunately, the best way to get GNUstep packages for most distributions is still to compile it yourself. Fortunately, compiling GNUstep based program is quite
a bit easier than others (no need for ./configure, except on core
libraries). I'm not sure who makes the Debian packages, but I assume he reads this mailing list and could explain why they have yet to be upgraded (keep in mind it's hard to get packages included in the official Debian
distribution, but should be easier with the new -make).

Since you used the word "a few months ago" to describe something "outdated", I'd suspect currently GNUStep develoment is pretty hot. Most desktop environment systems update at yearly or half-yearly basis with only a few changes.

I'd try compile myself later. Thanks for the info!

--
Login: zhangweiwu                       Name: Zhang Weiwu
Directory: /home/zhangweiwu             Shell: /bin/bash