Re: Distributed Objects / Message Passing Comparison

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Distributed Objects / Message Passing Comparison
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 02:56:04 -0700

On 24 Jun., 18:45, Robert Bruce Carleton <r...@insidernewswire.com>
wrote:
> I've been looking at distributed objects in GNUstep to do distributed
> computing.  I tried out the example programs in the DO tutorial (they
> work) and I've done some background reading.
>
> I'm curious if anyone has done some kind of comparison of Step style
> DO with HPC message passing, such as MPI and PVM.  On the surface,
> they sound similar but they seem to have different audiences.
>
> I did some searching with Google and friends but I haven't turned up
> anything like that yet.
>
> Any pointers or comments would be helpful.

I have looked a little at
http://rac.uits.iu.edu/hpc/mpi_tutorial/s1_roundrobin.html

and indeed it has similarities. The reason is that *Step DO API is
sort
of a high-level object&message passing wrapper for basic Mach
messaging.

And basically you always have to do the same steps:
1. establish a connection
2. queue data to be sent to the other side
3. handle incoming data

Everything is synchronized in some event queueing mechanism
(NSRunLoop).

-- hns