Re: NSRunAlertPanel

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: NSRunAlertPanel
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 09:58:36 +0200

Andreas Höschler wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
>>> see my other mail for the reason why I am bothering. I just tried to
>>> find the code of NSRunAltertPanel in the GNustep tree
>>>
>>>     grep -r "NSRunAlertPanel" /usr/src/core/gui
>>>
>>> in the hope I might be able to fix this with a [panel setLevel:...]
>>> call but only found its defintion
>>>
>>> APPKIT_EXPORT int NSRunAlertPanel(NSString *title,
>>>                                    NSString *msg,
>>>                                    NSString *defaultButton,
>>>                                    NSString *alternateButton,
>>>                                    NSString *otherButton, ...);
>>>
>>> in
>>>
>>>     /usr/src/core/gui/Headers/AppKit/NSPanel.h
>>>
>>> not its implementation!? What am I missing?
>>
>> Look in NSAlert.m
>> Perhaps GSAlertPanel should call [self setFloatingPanel: YES] in its
>> initialisation?
>
> Thanks!
>
> However, this did not make a difference! I checked the window levels. My
> main window has NSNormalWindowLevel, the NSRunAlertPanel has
> NSFloatingWindowLevel. Normally it should always be above the main win,
> but it is not. Could this be window manager related? I am using sawfish
> on the debian system! May be sawfish is so simple that it does not
> support different window levels.

That is a bit strange, due to the code in [NSApplication
beginModalSessionForWindow:] the panel should be changed to
NSModalPanelWindowLevel during the loop. Could you please re-check this?
But most likely your actual problem is the window manager. You will need
to find out what special settings are needed for it. Then we may add
them to setwindowlevel: in back.

Cheers,
Fred