Re: Accounting Apps Re: [OGo-Developer] Changes to trunk, Testing

From: Paraplegic Racehorse
Subject: Re: Accounting Apps Re: [OGo-Developer] Changes to trunk, Testing
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 03:47:43 -0000

On May 31, 4:56 pm, Paraplegic Racehorse
<paraplegic.raceho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 29, 5:05 am, David Wetzel <d...@turbocat.de> wrote:
>
> > Helge Hess wrote:
> > > Is it possible to specify what such an application should do? :-)
> > > What kind of data would need to be captured and what functionality is
> > > required?
>
> >http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechnungswesenhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wi...
>
> > > Is it supposedly difficult to get such an app right? (does it involve
> > > tax laws and such?)
>
> > YES. Very much. For example you have to proof that the data once written is
> > not changeable later.
> > Which is IMHO total non-sense, because you can always edit files on a hard
> > disk. You can also edit a
> > paper based accounting book - you just have to tell your secretary to write
> > it again with changes X Y
> > Z...
>
> Full-on accountancy softwares are horrendously complex, especially
> when you start worrying about payroll, taxation, job-costing, and
> other special-case scenarios. I suggest you start with a simple
> invoice/billing + cheque-register app and add features as you become
> more familiar and comfortable with GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting
> Principals)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAAP

So it just occurred to me that you could just write a front-end for an
existing engine, such as one of the web-based systems (such as SQL-
ledger or LedgerSMB) or the Wiaflos project (http://www.wiaflos.org)
using SOAP or similar and leave all the true heavy-lifting to the
"experts."