Re: Using code from Cocotron

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Using code from Cocotron
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 07:44:23 +0100

On 11 May 2007, at 06:40, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

Hi,

 I was looking at GNUstep's NSPredicate implementation
 and one obvious missing part is the -evaluateWithObject: in
NSComparisonPredicate.
 Then I found Cocotron has more implementation than GNUstep.
 Since NSPredicate use KVC and I remember
 GNUstep's implementation of KVC/KVO is not finished (It is listed in
SoC 2007 for GNUstep),

KVC is complete, but IMO is sufficiently underused/tested that it may contain bugs, which is why I'd like to see it reviewed.
KVO is not complete, but is not (afaik) used by the NSPredicate stuff.

 I look at Cocotron's implementation again and it seems to have
implementation to an extent.
 I wonder what is GNUstep's stand of using Cocotron's code
 considering they are released under MIT ?

We can't use the code because they won't assign the copyright to the FSF. in practice we probably couldn't use much (if any) of it simply anyway as we have our own codebase and cocotron stuff would need to be altered to fit in to gnustep. Where it's valuable is that you can look at the cocotron code, see how they do things, and write code using ideas from it where appropriate (or write different code if you think they've gone wrong of course).

 While their AppKit might be tied with Windows, Foundation should be
fairly portable.
Something like nib supporting from Cocotron may also be worth to take a look.
 The point is that if license is not an issue and it will make
GNUstep more complete,
 why not take this advantage. :)

Well, as far as I know the license is an issue (I believe BSD is incompatible with the LGLP), and the cocotron people won't assign copyright, so we can't just incorporate the code for license/ copyright reasons.

I see at least four reasons why we can't just copy cocotron code:
1. it would need modifying to work
2. copyright
3. license
4. a minor problem ... coding style (needs reformatting etc to ,meet coding standards)

What you should do is write new code for GNUstep using ideas from cocotron as appropriate. For that cocotron is obviously a valuable resource.