Re: Was GNUstep ready for GNUstep ?

From: Andrew Ruder
Subject: Re: Was GNUstep ready for GNUstep ?
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 13:13:36 -0500

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 11:49:02AM -0500, Tim McIntosh wrote:
> This is only a half baked idea, but it seems like it would be nice to
> have a summary table on the wiki (or somewhere) for each core release
> that included the following information for all applications and
> frameworks:
>       Package Name
>       Latest Version
>       Release Date
>       Primary Maintainer (None if package is not actively maintained)
>       Verified Working With This Core Release? (Yes/No)
>       Platforms Tested

While that sounds like a great idea, that is a very time intensive
process, and I don't know that there's anyone around that would even
attempt to keep such a monster up to date and if the end result would
really be worth the hundreds of hours it would undoubtedly take to
compile a list of every application/framework and then verify it working
on the release on multiple platforms.

Honestly, the problem is that there just aren't a whole lot of actively
maintained GNUstep apps, and you can't honestly expect GNUstep to not
move forward in an attempt to not break those apps.  Bitrot just
happens.  The weight is on the app maintainers to step up and correct
their apps or someone in the community to step up and maintain any of
the hundreds of unmaintained apps/frameworks/etc..

- Andy

--
Andrew Ruder <andy@aeruder.net>
http://www.aeruder.net