Making packages with new -make

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Making packages with new -make
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:32:46 -0400

So I decided to update the Slackware packages today.  I picked up all the source, and this is actually the first I mess with the new gnustep-make setup.  I ran into a few problems which I'll list here.  I'm using the fhs-system layout and building everything into one package, which I will call gnustep-core version 0.17.0 (following the -startup versioning).

1. fhs-system layout:  This layout seems to be missing the *_WEB_APPS variables, so whenever the GNUstep.conf file is generated it make all *_WEB_APPS=/usr.  Not sure how the other layout are about this as I haven't check them.  This layout also suggests putting DOCS (system in this case) in /usr/share/GNUstep/Documentation, but a much more suitable location would be /usr/share/doc/GNUstep.  Again, I'm not sure how the other layouts treat this.  I've modified my fhs-system file to reflect these points,

2. Installing libraries without GNUstep.conf:  In the past, what I've had to do in order to work around the fact that the installed GNUstep.conf file would indicate the actual filesystem, as opposed to a fictitious one, was to create a bogus GNUstep.conf that defined GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT to be my /tmp/gnustep-core directory.  How would I go about doing that now?  The GNUstep.conf file got way to complicated for me to come up with a fake one.

3. Sourcing GNUstep.sh:  Is this still needed?  Assuming the person installing these packages are not going to compile any GNUstep applications, do I still need to source GNUstep.sh in my startup script and add it to /etc/profile?

Another question, that doesn't have to do with -make, that I have is if the cairo backend is stable enough to be used?  I used libart last time but was wondering if cairo is mature enough now.

Stefan