Re: Spreading the word (was: Re: Google Summer of Code 2007)

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Spreading the word (was: Re: Google Summer of Code 2007)
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:35:14 -0700

On 3/15/07, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de> wrote:

Am 15.03.2007 um 22:43 schrieb Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf:

> Am 15.03.2007 um 22:07 schrieb Yen-Ju Chen:
>
>> On 3/15/07, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <lars.sonchocky-
>> helldorf@hamburg.de> wrote:

>>> wiki

>>> projects
>>>
>>> Somebody blogging (ideally somebody who blogs on a regular base and
>>> has a blog that supports digg) should blog about this and then we
>>> could try to get into the limelight here http://digg.com/
>>> programming.
>>> We would need about 40 to 50 diggs to get to the frontpage then
>>> (should be no problem if everybody here helps "digging").
>>>
>>> Btw. KDE already does this: http://digg.com/programming/
>>> KDE_participating_in_Google_Summer_of_Code_2007
>>
>>  We can just digg the wiki page.
>>  If you really want a blog, I have one here:
>>  http://gnustep.blogspot.com/
>
> Great! I think a blog is better here (and you link the wikipage in
> it) since those little digg buttons seem to make the difference (I
> remember submitting a story on digg ( http://digg.com/programming/
> GNUstep_does_what_Apple_can_t_Extend_Cocoa_to_Linux_Windows ) which
> never came across to reach the critical mass because of a missing
> digg button on Greg's blog.).
>
> I think your blog entry needs to be extended somewhat to make it a
> more interesting and relevant read, I can do it, just give me some
> time to write something (which I'll mail to you in turn).

how about adding this text (with links) to your blog entry:

 O.K. I update everything here:
 http://gnustep.blogspot.com/2007/03/summer-of-code-2007.html
 And put a digg:
 http://digg.com/programming/GNUstep_participates_in_Google_Summer_of_Code_2007

 If people want to change anything, let me know.

 Yen-Ju

----

GNUstep is proud to announce its participation in the Google Summer
of Code  ( http://code.google.com/soc/ ) program.

If you're a student and want to improve your OpenStep/Cocoa skills,
practice some real cross platform programming or just learn what that
wonderful Objective-C language is about you should apply ( http://
groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-announce/web/guide-to-
the-gsoc-web-app-for-student-applicants ). GNUstep has a lot of
different projects to offer - from entry level improvements for the
beginner to advanced tasks like porting Apple's WebKit over to
GNUstep or improving GNUsteps integration into the MS Windows
Platform. All ideas are listed here and you're free to add more here:
http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php?title=Summer_Of_Code_2007 (the wiki
needs a registration and application for write rights here:
webmasters@gnustep.org, sorry for that - we get wiki-spammed a lot).

We are a bunch of friendly people with an appreciation for the
extraordinary - would we otherwise use Objective-C or build an
OpenStep/Cocoa compliant framework? If you're looking for a special
challenge aside heavily traveled C++ roads (that would be boring,
well?), want to extend your horizons and are open minded you're welcome.

If you're a GNUstep developer and want to introduce some novice to
the marvelous world of GNUstep you should apply as a mentor.

----

corrections and improvements are welcome

regards, Lars