Re: GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty)

From: Rogelio Serrano
Subject: Re: GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty)
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 15:21:51 +0800

On 3/4/07, Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:
Rogelio,

> I dont think this is enough reason to invent a new ugly language. So we
> can render broken pages properly. For apple maybe.

Invent a new ugly language???   Heh.   No one is doing anything of the sort.
ObjC++ has been around for a while.

its not for me then.  i think i will leave it to others to create a
gnustep browser i can use in the near future.

> Duplication cannot be avoided. Would you rather integrate c++, ada,
> fortran, .net, java and cobol in obj-c so we can avoid duplicating what
> some super project in these language have done?

Heh, funny you should mention this.  This type of thing is done in commercial
applications more often than you might think.  I can think of a few examples in
my professional career where, yes, it was necessary to integrate with a well
tested, well known, library that just happened to be written in another
language. :)

of course. i was talking of the extreme case. i thought integration of
khtml into cocoa was the primary motivation for inventing obj-c++.

> If html is so easy to do wrong and so hard to handle then we put a
> bullet in the s*****'s head  and move on.

It's not that easy... it's nice to say that we will make a parser that will only handle
"correct" HTML, but when you consider that this will make the browser virtually
useless for navigating almost half of the web pages out there, the idea looses it's
appeal.    If you write a from scratch implementation you will need to handle such pages,
if you want anyone to actually use it.

we still have uses for an xhtml only application right?

Later, GJC