Re: GNUstep on debian

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: GNUstep on debian
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:32:20 +0100

Hi Andreas,

The configure is not complaining about not finding the libraries, but not finding the header files.

I guess if you find -name "jpeglib.h" you will not find it.

apt-get install libjpeg62-dev

will solve that issue. Same goes for all other libs that are needed. You need the -dev packages.

With kind regards,

Dennis Leeuw

Andreas Höschler wrote:
Hi all,

ok, I made a mistake. I created a file /etc/ld.so.conf on a Debian box

/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/lib/FrontBase/lib

and ran ldconfig after I got GNUstep to compile. Now after doing ths ldconfig stuff, GNUstep no longer builds, complainingthat it can't find libraries:

cd /usr/src/core/gui

./configure
checking jpeglib.h presence... no
checking for jpeglib.h... no
GNUstep requires libjpeg to support JPEG images, but this library
can't be found. If you really want to compile GNUstep without
JPEG support, pass the --disable-jpeg option to ./configure.
Note that this isn't recommended. For more information, see:
http://gnustep.made-it.com/BuildGuide/index.html#JPEG
configure: error: libjpeg not found.

./configure --disable-jpeg
checking tiffio.h presence... no
checking for tiffio.h... no
configure: WARNING: Cannot find libtiff header and/or library
* The GUI library reqiures the TIFF library
* Use --with-tiff-library to specify the tiff library
* directory if it is not in the usual place(s)
* You may also have to specify --with-jpeg-library if the jpeg
* library is needed by tiff,

./configure --with-tiff-library=/usr/lib --with-jpeg-library=/usr/lib
checking for jpeglib.h... no
GNUstep requires libjpeg to support JPEG images, but this library
can't be found. If you really want to compile GNUstep without
JPEG support, pass the --disable-jpeg option to ./configure.
Note that this isn't recommended. For more information, see:
http://gnustep.made-it.com/BuildGuide/index.html#JPEG
configure: error: libjpeg not found.

find /usr/lib -name "*jpeg*"
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62.0.0
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62
/usr/lib/qt3/plugins/imageformats/libqjpeg.so

debian:/usr/src/core/gui# find /usr/lib -name "*tiff*"
/usr/lib/libtiff.so.4.1.2
/usr/lib/libtiff.so.4

I am stuck! How do I get this library issue fixed?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Andreas

        I finally managed to get GNUstep to build on Debian, also our code
        depending on GNUstep. We have a loadable bundle that depends on
        FBAccess (a framework) which again depends on FBCAccess (a library
        supplied by FrontBase, Inc.). This library is installed in
        /usr/lib/FrontBase/lib on Debian. Trying to load our bundle
        failed. It
        could not find libFBCAccess. Under Soalris we usually add the
        lib path
        to crle. It seems this is done differently under Linux. I
        googled and
        found

        pico /etc/ld.so.conf

        + /usr/lib/FrontBase/lib

        ldconfig

        to be the correct approach on Linux. However, this file didn't
        exist
        and after creating it with this one entry and executing ldconfig
        the
        GNUstep app could not be started anymore. I rebooted the system.
        Now
        not even kdm or GNOME came up anymore. It seems my ldconfig
        approach
        hosed the complete system. I removed /etc/ld.so.conf and run
        ldconfig
        again, but no avail. Everything depeding on shared libs fails now.

        Any ideas how this is done correctly under Linux? I know that I
        should
        better keep my hands away from Linux and stay with Solaris. But for
        this one project I need to get it to work under linux as well.

        Thanks a lot!

        Regards,

        Andreas

    You should have a /etc/ld.so.conf file. On my sarge-debian system it
    contains 2
    lines :
    /usr/X11R6/lib
    /usr/local/lib

    The 'standard' directory /lib and /usr/lib are always scanned. So
    you should not
    have to add your FrontBase path in ld.so.conf (not sure)

    Anyway you need a ld.so.conf file : i suggest you (re)create it with
    the two