Customizable filesystem support for GNUstep

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Customizable filesystem support for GNUstep
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 05:22:04 +0100 (CET)

I completed an implementation of customizable filesystem support for GNUstep
(which includes
Linux FHS) and committed that to trunk. :-)

If you only want stable code, stay away from trunk for a few days still.

If you want to be bleeding edge and test the customizable filesystem support,
do
the following:

Go in make/FilesystemLayouts and select the layout you prefer (contributions
of more options for other systems would be gladly welcome!). :-)

Eg, let's say that you're on linux and want to test Linux FHS.

./configure --with-layout=linux
make
su -c 'make install'

Now, this installs in /usr/local, so you need to:

 1. add /usr/local/bin to your PATH

 2. add /usr/local/lib to your /etc/ld.so.conf

At that point, everything should work natively.  The only thing you have to do
is setting GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES so that the makefiles are found --

export GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES=/usr/local/share/GNUstep/Makefiles

And then you can ./configure/make/make install all the other GNUstep stuff, it
will
go into /usr/local and work automatically.

IMPORTANT: Remember to run 'ldconfig' after installing each library!

All the standard GNUstep functionality that we have accumulated over the years
should still
work.  There are bound to be some areas that still need work to work in the new
filesystem
setup (eg, I can think of tool resources and a few other things, and I wanted
to look at
gworkspace's configure as it's a key app).  We'll get that sorted out.

Finally, this is now gnustep-make version 1.98.0.  It's a pre-2.0 release.

There are things that could be improved, and will hopefully be improved with
everyone's
constructive suggestions and comments. :-)

Thanks

PS: Some traditional GNUstep variables have no longer any sense in gnustep-make
version 2,
for example GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT.  You may want to update your project so that
you're using
other variables that will work with gnustep-make v2 as well as gnustep-make v1.
 I'll
post detailed instructions on how to do that later on; just wanted to say that
if your
project doesn't immediately work with the new filesystem stuff because of some
old variable,
don't freak out!  Let me know and we'll figure out together a way that works
both in v1
and v2. :-)