Re: Fucked up gnustep-make

From: Chris Vetter
Subject: Re: Fucked up gnustep-make
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:49:58 +0100

On 2007-02-14 01:31:31 +0100 Nicola Pero <nicola.pero@meta-innovation.com> wrote:
And to top it of, even though 'make --version' fails, the script is happily running along. Instead, it should complain about the non-GNU make(1) and quit.
Why would you want it to quit ?

Whether to quit or not certainly depends on the impact.

[...]
line printed any time you compile using gnustep-make. But we survived for years without that line, it's hardly an essential feature.

Which makes me wonder why it was added now.

[...]
So, the script did continue, which allowed you to use gnustep-make even if you lost the new feature. I don't see why you'd have hoped for the script to quit, in which case your gnustep-make would have been unusable.

If I run a script and see an error, I'd expect it to quit, since an error usually does have an impact somewhere later on. If the script happily runs on, I quit it by hand. And that's what happened here. Since it says (quoting Richard) that GNU make now is a _requirement_ (which is kinda redundant, since GNU make was always required when using GNU Makefiles), and configure is explicitely

  checking for the GNU Make version... make: illegal option -- -
  [...]

*I* would expect the script to fail and quit, since the "found" make(1) apparently is NOT a 'GNU make.'

OTOH, if this was just a 'goody' and 'nice to have' feature, but not essential, the version check could be made silently and a possible error message piped to limbo.

--
Chris